11.10.07

A side note

I got this lovely care package from one of my writing pals.

At top right, you'll see three balls of yarn - Cascade Fixation - which I've heard lots about, but never tried. It's 98.3% cotton and 1.7% elastic, so has a very curious and stretchy texture. In fact, the measurements are very curious, too. Each 50 gram ball yields 186 yards (spandex) and 100 yards (relaxed). Don't ask me what precisely that means.


Knitting up - what was to be a swatch - of the pink color resulted in this - a very firm yarn, with great stitch definition and unquestionable stretch. Once I got going, I decided to just finish off the ball to see exactly how much I could get with 50 grams. I also got a real sense of the fabric, and I'm here to tell you, this stuff would be great for lingerie and bathing suits! Think bikinis, if you or someone you know is young enough to wear one. I mean, there's enough spandex in this for support! There's nothing wimpy about Fixation. And the colors I got are great. Socks? Well, maybe... though I'm not a big fan of cotton socks. Thinking about it, it might be because I ordinarily knit cotton too loose, but I don't think that would be the case with this springy yarn.

No comments: